Need rear caliper..........w/ a good E-BRAKE!!!!

I have a crap one laying around that I am going to try this on.  I also have one on my car that is doing the same thing.  Is there anything elese we should do while it is off the car?  Rebuild parts, etc...?

Don

-----Original Message-----
From: David Utley <mr.utility@highstream.net>
Sent: Mar 29, 2004 9:00 AM
To: "Leach, Michael" <michael.leach@lmco.com>
Cc: scirocco-l@scirocco.org
Subject: Re: Need rear caliper..........w/ a good E-BRAKE!!!!

I have heard of a 'fix' for these sticky calipers.  I have passed it on to
several folks, and heard a good response, but the details are sketchy...  :-(

With the caliper free of the rotor/pads, rotate the piston the -wrong- way a
quarter turn...  Lightly rap it with a hammer (yo!)...  Rotate the -wrong- way
another quarter turn, the rap again (break it down)...  NOW, rotate the piston
as per normal, and it should go back in as per normal...

I realize that the piston could be seized because of some contamination in the
bore, and not because of the E-brake adjustment not working properly.  If that
is the case, this will not help you at all...  However, hopefully it IS just
the E-brake mechanism gone off, and you can save yourself some money and
time...!

Cheers,
  David Utley

Quoting "Leach, Michael" <michael.leach@lmco.com>:

> I am sure any of you who live in a state where there are yearly inspections
> can feel my pain.  I need to get my e-brake working to pass inspection!!!
>
> I am looking for a caliper that will fit my 16v.  I do not care what
> condition it is in once I pass inspection the red painted caliper is going
> back on anyway.  A2 or A3 caliper should be fine too I guess.  I went through
> this issue last year and could not get my e-brake to work....and drove
> without an inspection all year.  I really do not want to do that for another
> year!!
>
> Michael Leach
> MH-60R Integration and Test
> Lockheed Martin Federal Systems