Update> 77 title found - still some complications though...

Ok, the guy's wife found the title, but there's a snag.  Here's what he
told me:

"As I remembered, the title is in the name of the Salvation Army.  It
was notarized and transferred to Eddie #### from the State of Kansas.  I
picked up the car from him.  The title SHOULD have been submitted by
Eddie, and then when he got the title in his name, he could've
transferred to me.  However, he never had the chance to do that, because
I got the car off of him, right after he bought it at auction.  The
title already says "non-highway" because the previous owner didn' t have
insurance (some crazy Kansas law)."

So, it seems that the title was notarized and transferred to someone who
never finished transferring into his name, and sold it to the guy that
has it now..  With all this sorted out though, there is a penalty in MO
for not transferring the title within 30 days of purchase - $25 a month
to a maximum of $200.  It's sat for two years since the auction, so the
$200 would apply...

But, since the title was transferred to someone in Kansas, maybe the
rules are different there.  Anyone from Kansas shed some light on this?

Oh well, I'll keep looking into this - hopefully there's a loophole
somewhere...

Mark.
75
80 S