Please Help

daniel savatteri wrote:

>> From: T Berk <tberk@sbcglobal.net>
>> To: daniel savatteri <yoscirocco@hotmail.com>
>> CC: scirocco-l@scirocco.org
>> Subject: Re: Please Help
>> Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 11:24:04 -0800
>>
>> daniel savatteri wrote:
>>
>>> Ok so i've had to drive the scirocco as my dd for the past couple of
>>> weeks cause my crappy corolla blew its head gasket.  Anyway I started
>>> it last night to let it warm up, i go back outside to leave about ten
>>> minutes later and the engine isnt running,  I try to turn it over and
>>> nothing. All the dash lights are working but my headlights are dim.
>>> So i jump it,  it takes a little time to get the charge from my
>>> mothers car but it tuns over.  I drove home and let the car sit
>>> running for a good hour before shutting it off for the night.  It
>>> would not start this morning even with a jump start, just cranks and
>>> will not tun over.  Please someone help me out, It will be greatly
>>> appreciated.
>>>

>> Sounds like a dead battery and/or an Alt that isn't charging.
>>
>> btw- A depleted battery needs to be recharged as soon as possible to
>> avoid clogging the plates up inside. Reduced life and capacity are to
>> be expected if it sits around run down.
>>
>> Lets start there and see where we get.
>>
>> TBerk
>>

 > Thanks for the reply,
 > you're right that is the place to start but the Alt
 > and the battery are brand new.  i think i might try running another
 > ground directly to the alt housing from the neg batt. terminal, maybe
 > that will help  .org seems to think so.

As do I. You might have a short somewhere. You can test for current draw
across the fuse terminals, one at a time remove each fuse, test for amps
and replace, on to the next.

(Testing for amps at the battery terminal might provide enough amperage
to blow your tester, I doubt it, unless the Ign is ON, but I caution you
nonetheless).

What we have is a failure to charge. At least that's what it sounds like
here. When the car is running are you getting 12.5 volts or more
measured across the battery terminals? If not (& I doubt it is) the car
is running off the battery, hence your symptoms.

You might do an Idiot Check, as in checking for the obvious- loose wire
syndrome, crusty (but often invisible) corrosion on battery posts,
cables, and grounding points, etc.

Is this a 16v? They often have a missing/corroded/disconnected ground
strap from the back of the head to the firewall that aids in proper
charging. 8vs aren't immune from this either, in general.

Look, I'll be checking back periodically, tell me how's it going.

TBerk