From: scirocco-l-bounces@scirocco.org
[mailto:scirocco-l-bounces@scirocco.org]On Behalf Of Patrick Bureau
Sent: Wednesday, March 17, 2004 12:42
To: scirocco-l@scirocco.org
Cc: TST@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Noise and vibrations on the steering.. Solve one, find the
reasonfor the other !

Well after waiting for new bearings to arrive, I went to my buddy mechanic
and get my wheel bearings that have been roaring for the past 2 weeks,
I get there, he says let check which side.

So he jacks the car on the passenger side of the car, and lift just enough
to get the front wheel off the ground, and tells me get in the car stick it
in 5th gear, hand brake on, and turn the engine on, and slowly engage the
clutch. (no gas) .. And I do so.. The wheel starts to spin by itself and no
noise... So he drop that side of the car and repeats the process on the
driver side, and as the tire start to turn you clearly can hear the bearing
noise.

Now I don't know about anyone else on this list but this is the first time I
ever see the wheel bearing being tested that way, and it works like a charm.

he has the snap on bearing puller and we proceed to pull the bearing out and
put the new one, as we put the ball joint in place, we both notice the a-arm
isn't pushing back a whole lot... The sway bar is not broken it seems, but
it certainly has lost his push power which it did have back in June 2003. He
tell me that is what vibrations I have been feeling since the sway bar is
not doing its job anymore.

Great aint it.. Fix one thing find something else to fix... The ever
continual process of fixing our cars....lol

Guess I'll be saving for a nice set of ABD or Neuspeed or other brand name
set with a little more BEEF to them.

Anyone have aftermarket sway bars they would like to recommend? Sizes? I was
thinking 25/28mmmm front/back.. Opinions?

-
ATS - Patrick Bureau - http://ats.longcoeur.com -
A1 eBay Sales: http://tinyurl.com/22e5b
'85 3A/JH 2L Scirocco | '86 8v Restore Project (in progress)
'82 1.7L project |'81 S Project | '78 GTi 8v Project