car still wont start ... whats wrong?!

If its backfiring the wires are on wrong. Have you tried checking the
timing
mark? The mark is 6' BTDC. It should tell you where #1 should be.

If you go by the flywheel mark, you could be 180º out...

The crank makes 2 turns for every engine cycle, and the cam and
distributor make one.

This is why the crank gear is so small, and the cam and intermediate
gears(only runs the oil pump on a 16V) are twice the size. The 16V
distributor is mounted to the exhaust cam, which is mounted to the cam
gear...

How to find no.1:

Take the cap off, remove the rotor and plastic cover.

Look for a notch on the edge of the distributor body, it's a small thin
mark and you have to pull the cap to see it. I usually mark the side of
my distributor with a Sharpie, that way you don't have to pull the cap
every time.

This notch is No.1, take the cap and fit it on, by moving it side to
side until it's properly seated on the distributor. Then see which
terminal is no.1 on the cap, it's the closest one to the notch on the
distributor.

Install the longest wire first, which is no.1, then no.3, then no.4, and
then no.2.

1-3-4-2 CCW, or 1-2-4-3 CW...

HTH!

Peter
http://thescirocco.com
Feel free to call me between 11AM and 11PM - 302.832.8989.