Start Q's

It is a combination of a few things...

  1) Higher compression (when the motor is warm vs cold)
  2) Increased resistance of the extra wire to the starter/electrical system
  3) Wear at the starter, which increases draw...

Although no one is the only problem, one is more than likely more the culprit
than the others...  Since you are into electricals, I offer it to you this
way...  The answers lie in that car out there...  :-)

HTH, a wee bit...  :-)

David Utley