Semi O/T: Got a pickup... (now Evans coolant)

I realize we're currently talking about NA high(er) compression cars, but what about FI cars? Allyn's quote from their website: "Due to the typical low compression ratios and horsepower of vintage, antique, and collector cars, NPG can be used in most cases without any modifications to existing cooling system components." makes me think that Evans coolant would be perfect to drop into an FI system. With the added cooling from the combustion chamber, you could concievably run slightly higher boost due to less knocking. Correct?

Dan

Mark <mardak@cogeco.ca> wrote:
My take on their writeup is that the coolant will run a bit hotter than
a traditional 50/50 mix, but that the heat transfer is greater/faster so
that localized temperature of the combustion chamber is less.

Even though the overall coolant temps are higher (say measured at the
rad) I would assume that the combustion chamber itself would run cooler
because the Evans coolant "strips" the heat from the head faster than
normal coolant. Make any sense? Something like this must be happening
since the major advantage (supposedly anyways) of using the Evans
coolant is to prevent knock, especially on knock-prone setups (ie: high
c/r). Since a higher compression ratio would create even greater
localized heat in the combustion chamber this stuff must be carrying
that heat away quicker, even though it's heat capacity is less (but I'm
no engineer, so that's just my unedu-mac-ated guess on this...) :)

I was planning on using this stuff in the future, so someone please help
us clear this up - is this stuff all it's cracked up to be?

Mark.
75
80 S
81 S 2.0 ABA/JH/4K

Cheapass
> Ron Pieper
> Cc: scirocco-l@scirocco.org
> Subject: Re: Semi O/T: Got a pickup with 2.0 16V, do I need Motronic?
>
> > > I forgot to mention, I will also have Evans coolant,
> > > which should help
> > > things...
> >
> > Can't help ya there... I think da original Cheapass Ron
> > (TM) was going to run something like that - talk to him.
>
> you know, i was doing some reading up on that evans coolant stuff:
> http://www.evanscooling.com/html/tech1.htm#ptbl1
>
> then i noticed the glaring issue (which i feared): its heat capacity
sucks
> ass. its like 0.7, which is less than 50/50 water/antifreeze mix
(0.8).
> heck, i end up keeping the rieger running on like 20/80 mix (0.9) just
> keep temps reasonable. from my own observations/tests the rieger oil
temp
> runs at 120c constant with a 50/50 mix (compare with 95c constant pure
> water). i couldnt imagine running it with this evans stuff. there may
not
> be
> any local boiling in the head, but the overall engine temp would be so
> high
> that it would be knocking all over the place.
>
> it may be nice that this stuff basically wont boil in an engine, but i
> believe that is outweighed by the high heat output of the vw 16v
engine,
> and
> cant simply be 'dropped in' without some major mods.
>
> if you look here:
> http://www.evanscooling.com/html/tech1.htm#outline2
>
> you will see that evans sells special coolant pumps and radiators to
use
> on
> modern cars. this is obviously to overcome the low heat capacity of
their
> coolant. then there is this line at the bottom of that section:
>
> think back to those cars with tiny engines and huge-ass radiators (not
our
> case). those are the cars that you can simply drop this evans stuff
into.

> ...so ron, was this the stuff you were gonna use?
> Al

---