78 Scirocco - will 94 Gold 5spd fit?

It will but the ratios may be too tall to be practical on the Scirocco.
Do you know the code of the Golf gearbox?

If your brother is interested in selling his engine I'd be willing to talk
cash and a short ratio tranny (or any other ratio for that matter.)

Email me off list if you think he'd be interested.

Drew