New rear stress bar

Several years ago I remember reading about a group of mechanical engineers
that set up what I think were piezoelectric sensors on an A1 VW (a
Rabbit?) to see if the shock towers were really flexing during hard
cornering.

I think they observed movement of around 1/16" during full-lock parking
lot turns at 5-10 mph. I can't recall the rest of their findings.

As far as subjective feel - I too have noticed a difference from the front
bar(s) - both the upper and the lower made a perceptible difference on
my mk2. I have no experience with the rear bar.

I wouldn't classify them as "must", but they certainly help the front end
feel tighter. And they just might keep your shock towers from cracking.

Then again, these effects might just be due to added weight up front..
:)

-Toby