Timing belt change don't think I'm gonna do it

you need to pull the wp pulley so that you can remove the timing belt cover.
iirc, you can't remove the belt with the cover in place. i guess you could
cut it, but then you couldn't get the new one on...
another way to keep things from turning is to put hex keys in 2 holes. angle
a screwdriver across the keys (like this: o/o).  if you push on the
screwdriver you can crank on the screw on the left until it loosens. also,
i've had great success using a triple square pounded into the hole. lastly,
before you strip them, use tons of pb blaster or whatever, clean the holes
out with something pointy, and tap the allen wrench in with a hammer so it's
seated before you try to turn it. hth,

-Michael Abatzis
New Orleans!
1988 Scirocco 2L 16v RIP