Good day, just small stuff and blither

Okay, it's finally warmed up enough for my tastes, so out to work on the
cars a bit. I was hoping yesterday to just hop in the headache and fire her
up (what am I, on drugs?), but after the fuel pump buzzed, there wasn't
enough to crank her over. Between her and Klaus, it didn't add to 12 V, I
think Klaus' battery froze, my fault, it went to bed low. So it was the
triple trickle charge, would have been four, but I didn't worry about the
truck, I'm sure its dead too. The kid, of course has my good new battery up
in North Bay.

So today it was another of those rare days when the salt is gone and the
road is still frozen, so off I go in the headache, she fired right up, and
ran faster than hell, struggling to find anything resembling traction on the
frosty roads, and just a blast to drive in general. It's been a long winter,
and it's actually been longer than that since there was that starting issue
in the fall. I just love that car, despite the nickname. It's still so
wicked fast.

Oh, did I mention this was the threatened "no muffler" run? I got one scowl
from a homeowner, but no cops followed me home.  Funny thing is it wasn't
much harder on the ears than with the dead muffler. And it was SO MUCH
fun...OMG it was loud. Lots of popping when I got off the throttle, and a
delightful growl when I got into it. I think I'll go terrorize the lakeshore
in the other direction before the Borla goes on. (and then there's the river
road...)

So Klaus is getting the relayed lights put in (that's going fine), and the
finishing touches on the "de-Californication", so the EGR stuff all got
blocked up properly, and then I yanked the rear parcel shelf to finally
cover it with carpet, and noticed I could see through two of the speakers,
not good. I had to go to the city to get oil for the DD, (and of course they
didn't have it), but there was a great sale on speakers...cheap, but they'll
do for now. Some 6 1/2" Blaupunkts. Klaus is getting royally spoiled, I
ordered him a suspension this week too. Lets see, what else, that's about
it, though I feel a great "free the electrons" mission brewing on Klaus.
(actually, what I really feel brewing is an engine swap. Sorry, the 1.6 8V
just doesn't hold a candle to that 16V 2L)

I'm loving having my own space, unlike when I work with the kid, I no longer
have to spend a half hour looking for a screwdriver, and mop the oil off the
floor. And it was great to get back into a Scirocco after all that time.
There are times when I wonder why I screw around with these old cars, and
one drive usually clears the question up nicely. Just had to share. No
disasters to report, Klaus remains a pleasure to work on, I still suspect
he's plotting sonmething really big when he does pull a stunt. I'm just so
used to the other one being a spoiled brat 24/7.

That's it from me, for now anyways.
Cathy
1987 2L 16V "the silver headache"
1979 non-S "Klaus"