rocco is running like crap, help

Sorry if this was sent twice but i want sure if it worked.

I checked the cam timing belt and its lined up right. While
adjusting the distributor I can get rid of the knock but it still
wont stay running unless i give it gas. The weird thing is sometimes
after the car dies, i turn the distributor back and the fuel pump
turns on.

When the distributor is in the normal position it will idle but have
a knock at a higher rpm and the exhast smells gassy. I tried swaping
the computers in the rain tray, and i pulled my oxs sensor to check
it out and the car runs the same as if it was in or out (or is that
normal?).

Any other ideas? Mr. Bently is not helping me out much here.
Thanks, Parker