Suspension Terminology/Design Q's

> The front "shocks" are actually "struts" on our cars, is this correct
> terminology?  What is the difference, exactly? Does this mean that it's
> a shock that _holds_ the spring between its bottom and the strut bearing
> inside the fender well?

I think so, and some countries will refer to them as dampers, ex,in the UK
they have different words for a lot of stuff. The one I love most is the
"breakers" - our equivalent is the "automotive recycler, or junkyard"

> The front "springs" (I think I can figure that one out ;) sit on
> "perches",  the cone- or funnel-shaped part of the strut. Below this
> cone is an embossed VW/Audi emblem.

At the top of the front ones is a large piece with metal on either side of
a big hunk of rubber. That's the strut bearing. It has two threaded rods
on its sides to attach it to the "strut tower" part of the body, and a big
nut in the middle which holds the strut/spring assembly together. You
remove the two small nuts when you remove the suspension. (Not the big
nut, ask me how I know this...)The rubber part of the strut bearing starts
its life filling the gap between the two metal parts, and a big gap will
develop as it gets compressed/wears out. Below the bearing is a metal hat
that fits the top of the spring. It would be the upper perch I guess. The
lower perch is integrated into the strut housing.

> What is a shock "insert" exactly, and is there an insert on the BOGE
> front end?  Is this the "piston" component (shiny silver metal shaft and
> its receptacle) of the absorber unit inside of the spring?  Is this
> separate from the outer housing of the strut (cone-shaped part that the
> spring is perched on) or is it all just one component under the spring?

The "insert" is in fact the piston part, and it goes inside the housing
(again, this would be for the front). There is a threaded cap which can be
convinced off of the housing with enough love*, you "just unscrew it",
remove the old insert, and dump the nasty oil outa there, then refill with
the right amout of oil (I used ATF) and plunk in your insert, and screw
the cap back down to the specified torque.

(*the word "love" in this case means heat/ pipewrench / big ass bench vice
/ all the swearing/ leverage and beer you need to get the thing off, and
have a spare on standby in case it is a total PITA)

 > Eibach also makes "dampeners" (universal term for shock/struts?) but
> also doesn't seem to make them for our application...

I'll defer to the experts on what these various companies make and how
they mark them.

> Coilovers - these are dampeners/springs integrated into a single
> component? Tend to be more high-end (and adjustable) and way more $$$?

Coilovers have threaded housings, and usually coils of smaller diameter.
The lower perch can be moved up and down to change ride height, but of
course alignment would need to be done after any suspension adjustment.
The top end ones are expensive, and there are various incarnations which
weld/screw to the outside of an existing housing. If you get the H&Rs, it
comes all preassembled, you just remove your old stuff and bolt them right
in, then move the perches to the desired spot.

That's my input, I'm on A1 suspension swap #3. There is little that will
change the way your car feels/handles/rides like a new suspension. GL with
yours, there are a ton of options, many are good. Lots of stuff in the
archives too. But one word of advice, you generally get what you pay for.
Save for what you really want.
Cathy