From: scirocco-l-bounces@scirocco.org
[mailto:scirocco-l-bounces@scirocco.org]On Behalf Of Bryan Rankin
Sent: Thursday, June 24, 2004 5:40 PM
To: scirocco-l@scirocco.org
Subject: Yay, my battery isn't charging...

Hey guys...

   First off, it's an 81 rocco, 1.7L with the stock alt(65 amp i think)  I
have a 300w amp with a 10 inch sub.  I was driving the other night, with
stereo on, not loud, and it was glowing very dimly.  It started raining, on
goes the wiper, and of course, it gets a little brighter.  I checked the
battery the next morning, and it was 12.3V.  Thought it was a little weird,
but i ended up going out the next night as well.  This time, the lights
would get really bright, the battery light would get brighter, then it would
just go back to normal and the battery light would go off.  I checked
voltage again, and it was 12.3v.    So today, i installed a voltmeter gauge
and it read about 12v, i started the car, still at 12v.   I shut the car
off, get out, use the handheld voltmeter. 12.3v again.  Start the car,
12.35-7.

So, i know for sure my battery isn't charging, and i'm almost positive it's
my alternator, but i had also heard that the voltage regulators can be
faulty as well....

What are my chances of the regulator being dead, and how can i test this?

Thanks...

Bryan
Fort McMurray, AB
81 Volkswagen Scirocco