rocco is running like crap

I checked the cam timing belt and its lined up right. While adjusting the
distributor I can get rid of the knock but it still wont stay running unless
i give it gas. The weird thing is sometimes after the car dies, i turn the
distributor back and the fuel pump turns on.

When the distributor is in the normal position it will idle but have a knock
at a higher rpm and the exhast smells gassy. I tried swaping the computers
in the rain tray, and i pulled my oxs sensor to check it out and the car
runs the same as if it was in or out (or is that normal?).
Any other ideas? Mr. Bently is not helping me out much here.
Thanks, Parker

Check the belt and the timing. Hard starts and floored pedals? Sounds like
it!
Julie Macfarlane

Not my little friend the keyway I hope.
Cathy

Sounds like your timing has slipped; either through the belt jumping or a
shorn keyway, or maybe the distributor moved. Align up the crank and
cylinder #1 and Dist ad see what they look like. (I remembered in time that
16v has no Intermediate shaft to assist in timing.)
TBerk

This car is driveing me insaine
Well got my tranny put back in with a new Heavy duty pressure plate and
every thing went ok for a week. Except for starting hard some times and i
would have to hold the gas to the floor.
Driving the other night i lost power and I managed to limp it home. It
starts up, but doenst idle very good, has kinda a knock above 3,000 rpm or
with a load on it. Im thinking its maybee pre ignition, or something of that
matter.
I checked for spark at all of the plugs and it seemed good and I changed the
FI seals.
Could it be the oxs or knock sensor, or someting im over looking?
Parker Wulf
1987 Scirocco 2.0 16v with 020 9a 3.94fd Peloquin LSD

MSN 9 Dial-up Internet Access fights spam and pop-ups – now 3 months FREE!