JH 8v barely runs suddenly...

Well, I finally got motivated to go out and see what was wrong with the
Scirocco.  The spark tested nice and hot and blue but the car still ran
like crap.  I lifted up the fuel distributor and put a little pressure on
the flow sensor plate up and it smoothed right out.  So I turned the 3mm
adjustment for mixture to rich a couple of turns and it started running
perfectly.  I messed around with it and got the mixture right with the
motor good and hot.  Then after starting it cold this morning I noticed it
chokes unless you're really careful with the throttle, until it warms up.
I also hear no frequency valve for lambda regulation..

So, I have my control pressure regulator apparently not doing anything and
the lamda regulation isn't doing anything, so I have a basic manually set
mixture.  The car just purrs when it's warmed up well after I got the
mixture right.

Would failure of the CPR cause it to need to be enriched that much, even
when hot?  It runs great all the way through the RPM and load range with a
couple of full twists of that screw.

And why did it run so well in the cold winter, especially if the CPR
doesn't seem to be doing anything?

It looks like I have my work cut out for me.

John K. Gates