Check this German Ebay car... (killing some myths)

I found this in a .gov site

EPA does not accept passing a state inspection test or having a catalytic
converter as proof of compliance. The vehicle owner may contract with an
EPA-certified Independent Commercial Importer to import the vehicle as a
non-U.S. version vehicle and to convert it to meet EPA requirements. EPA
will permit the importation of nonconforming vehicles only if it qualifies
for an exclusion, an exemption, or is imported by an independent commercial
importer (ICI) who currently hold a valid EPA certification of conformity.
Nonetheless, EPA does not recommend the importation of nonconforming
vehicles as conversion of nonconforming vehicles is usually very expensive
and sometimes impossible or impractical. More detailed information on EPA's
requirements can be found on the Environmental Protection Agency website.

If the vehicle is 21 years old, there are no EPA compliance requirements
upon importation. However, the importer must prove to customs that the
vehicle or engine was manufactured prior to EPA regulation.

-Raffi