Can a relay go bad? (heat soak related)

So After investigating Further I found out that My
Rocco has been relayed for the starter with a WR-1
Relay kit from bosch. Wich was a typical fix for the
heat soak condition found in many VW's(and other
cars).

Now, how long ago that relay was placed there is a
horse of another color.

1)SO is there the chance that the realy is defective
and if so could that be the reason for the continued
not starting of my car after a long ride at HWY speed?

The WR-1 had an in-line fuse wich I checked. The fuse
is intact leading me to believe 2 things:
 ~The relay is not working
 ~the starter is crap and has vulnerable to heat soak

Regardles of relay......I have not seen if I have a
heat shield on the starter yet and will look, but my
guess is no!

TIA
La esponga caliente
Tony