Dash repair questions - What's involved in pulling the dash out?

Mike Smith wrote:

> They do MkI's.... (note spelling-never seen that variation before)

> Scirracco
> 78
> 78
> Madrid

Yeah, Notice not only the spelling (which I dropped them an email
about, but also they are only listing 78-78 as a year range. Sounds
like thats all that they had a hand on, at least at the time the web
page was created.

I'd love to drop off a dash from the wrecking yard and have it redone,
(Including the glove box door to match).

So, while 600 bucks is a lot, it means it's going to be a dash that
won't crack going forward (or at least not for a long, long time), and
replicates the OEM pattern.

Still, the difference between the $300 and $600 makes the hybrid dash
swap more likely. I'm going to go look at the A2 GTI in the backyard
again.

Q) Is Mk1 dash removal as simple as pulling the steering wheel, a few
screws holding it to the fire wall, and pulling the center console (&
disconnecting the heater controls)?

If so I'll be pulling mine to dabble with a little bit.

TBerk
1981 Scirocco with dash cracks galore