Carfax Request

We'll for me, I havnt seen a Westie with less than 150k on it, so if it is
really 81k than to me it is collectable... I've already noted the
condition of the engine and body.

It's like finding a Scirocco with 20,000 original miles on it.

Probably something that you are only going to put a 3,000 miles
per year or something, and keep it original, in the garage.

I guess everybody is different, but old cars with lower mileage are still,
IMO, worth more.

-ed

On Wed, 16 Jun 2004, Marc Getty wrote:

> Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 13:46:57 -0400
> From: Marc Getty <marc@getty.net>
> To: 'E.Noval' <aion@sdf.lonestar.org>, 'car' <scirocco-l@scirocco.org>
> Subject: RE: Carfax Request
>

> Ed, this is not a comment at you, but a comment in general.
>
> Why do people care about the mileage on old cars? I can see very
> little difference between a 1977 vehicle with 81,000 miles, 162,000
> miles, or 243,000 miles. Things will be continuously breaking on
> something this old. The only difference on a 27 year old car with
> 81,000 miles and a car with 243,000 miles is that you are replacing
> the parts for the second time and not the first.
>
> I can understand why mileage would matter on a newer car. Case in
> point: my 2002 Mercedes. 66,000 hard miles on it make it worth much
> less then say one with 12,000 miles. But if I were to buy a 1977
> Scirocco or Westie I would be much more concerned about rust and
> overall condition, not is this the 2nd or 6th alternator.
>
> -Marc
>
> '81 VW Mk1 Scirocco             Philadelphia, PA
> '84 VW GTI Bunny Truck          marc@getty.net
> '02 MB C230 Kompressor          AIM: DaMarcDaMarc

          ^
         / \
        / ~ \
       / <*> \