the 9A transaxle

On Mon, 07 Jun 2004 01:44:25 -0700 T Berk <tberk@sbcglobal.net> writes:
> Dave Ewing wrote:
>
> > I would say that it is basically identical to an FN or FF but
> closer ratio.
> > The 9A is limited by not being able to take the 100mm flanges
> without some
> > machining (slight but still needed).
>

> Wait, wait, wait-   To quote the Org Gear section:
>
> 100 mm flange
> Code     (Application)

> ++++    +++++++++++++
> 9A         (08/84-07/85 GOLF)
>                (01/85-07/85 JETTA)
>                (07/84-07/84 RABBIT)
>               (07/84-07/84 SCIROCCO)
> ------------------
>
> I thought the 9A was a 100 millimeter flange gear box.
>
> I am sitting here thinking FF for now, with it's 90mm flanges for
> the
> 81 Roc but down the line with bigger brake calipers I would go 100
> mm
> axles, hubs, etc.
>
> Hence not selling off the 9A.
>
> (btw- this one came out of an A2 Jetta 8v GLI.)
>
> TBerk
That chart above is wrong. My 1987 Golf GT, my 1985 Scirocco Wolfsburg,
and my 1987 Scirocco 8V all came with 9A trannies (original) and all have
100mm flanges.

What I hate about the 9A trans is that is needs a sixth gear - otherwise
it is wonderful! I hate the 4000 rpm at 75.

Mash
1987 Scirocco 16V, 1982 Scirocco, 1981 Scirocco (was an S), 1978 Scirocco
www.scirocco2.de/mark.htm