88 16v: cooling problems

----- Original Message -----
From: "david" <pearl16v@yahoo.com>
To: "scirocco" <scirocco-l@scirocco.org>
Sent: Sunday, July 25, 2004 11:17 PM
Subject: 88 16v: cooling problems

> i just installed all new belts, water pump,
> thermostat, and fan switch. now the water doesnt seem
> to be flowing. and i think the backed up pressure just
> busted my radiator; its majorly leaking. is this a
> plausible senario?

More likely is that the work you were doing put additional stress on an old, tired piece of equipment (the rad) and the weakest spots gave up.  Where is it leaking?  near the fan switch, perhaps?

> could i have installed a busted thermostat or put in
> it wrong? what else could have caused the radiator to
> bust and the coolant to not flow?

Bad thermostat will not cause a good radiator to leak.

> how can i tell if the water is flowing?

If the engine is being cooled, the water is flowing.
Larry
sandiego16v