re; All season tires

Ed,

No.  The early cars came with 13" rims.  I think it was the 84
production year that first saw 14" rims and IIRC they only came on
certian vehicles (ie: the gti, gli, wolfies, etc) and then later on
stock on all VWs.

I have an extra set of the VW rims with the 6 wide spokes (maybe it is 7 spokes)

As for the original question about tires, I have been running the
Khumo 712's for a couple of months.  I have grown quite fond of them
and plan purchasing compete sets for tow of my other cars. I bought
them from tire rack online for $52 each.  These things are sticky as
all get out.  I know several others on the list run them as well.

HTH,

Dave