Waterfest, the novel

i am a lister and my car was in autoX

roccit_53@scirocco.cs.uoguelph.ca wrote:Well, you knew there was going to be a lengthy post from me about “the
Fest”, which was this past weekend in New Jersey for those that don’t
know. So let’s split it into chapters: That way you can delete/skim as you
wish.
Chapter One: THE PREPARATION: We traveled in three cars, My son’s slammed
87 Jetta “on air”(the Valdez), my 1987 16V Rocco (the headache) and my 99
TDI New Beetle (the punchbug). The bug got an oil change, and the rocc got
tune up items, in hopes of finding missing power. And it has its new fuel
tank, courtesy of VW. And it still smells, and is just as erratic in its
power delivery, but it idles great now thanks to10' of new vacuum line,
new plugs/clean air filter/new cap and rotor/new fuel filter. Of course
this was all done when relatives were visiting, so there’s the family /car
juggling act to deal with. The last work was done at 5 am Saturday, prior
to the trip. Sounds typical, eh? The Valdez rolled the day before us, so
it was a caravan of two, with no surprises, except that the sun shone all
the way down. Klaus stayed home with his awesome newfound power and his
bad brakes.

Chapter Two: DRIVING IN JERSEY: I am convinced that there are three types
of drivers in Jersey, crazed lunatics, total incompetents, and drunken
crazed lunatics driving semis.. Well, then there are us tourists. I only
had my brakes locked up once, but had three separate Volvo rigs nearly end
my life, those guys are insane. And then there are the friggin Jersey
barriers. You have to turn left from the right lane (WTF??) in most
places, and merge from city streets into 50mph+ traffic. Not a problem on
the headache, somewhat more of a concern in the TDI. So you’d see the
hotel on the left and drive five miles past it to make a U turn from the
right lane to get back. This is normal.

Chapter Three: PUTTING THE WATER INTO WATERFEST: We all know that the
water part is for watercooled, but actually it’s always been about the
need to build a mode of transport measured in cubits and stocked with
pairs of each species and Bilblical proportion rain. This year’s event
didn’t disappoint. . So I was delighted to share a shower with a whole
bunch of Rocco guys, I’m such a loose woman. Jan, it was a true pleasure,
but don’ t tell your wife. Perks of the big sky dump included putting us
drag racers out of our misery for the day (after two time trials) and the
guys seemed to enjoy the gals in thin white T shirts for some unknown
reason. I felt bad for the show guys, detailing your car to have it
drizzled on all day sucks. Sounds like the Grassroots car suffered axle
failure on the strip at the hands of Mr VanSprewenberg, and Peter was in
the pits too, but just for the great parking, It IS worth the extra 15
bucks to park so near the action. Of course we had the required family
moment on the way home following downpour #2 on Monday, where steam poured
out of the Valdez and we had a group hug ( NOT) on the shoulder. Deja vu.

Chapter Four: THE HOTELS: Here is the true heart of the Waterfest
experience, it is right out of “the Fast and the Fundamentally lacking in
sense”. There were the usual elements- lots of rubber smoke, hanging out
and drinking in the parking lot, babysitting by the local cops, all that
good stuff. And the cars, lots of them to see. And the bullshit to go with
them. Excellent! I ran into the Canuck faction first (TMB and the VWoT
crew), followed by Scirocco types, like Mark, Ben, Anson, Scott Williams
(who I hadn’t seen in ages, he looked great and had his rally car with
him), and a bunch more. Dan Savateri (spelling help here please?) and I
had a nice spirited run over from hotel 4, and it was fun to drive with
another Rocc, (He’s got a gorgeous black 16V) I hadn’t done that in ,
well, lessee, oh, a week...The Hilton didn’t look too burnout friendly,
and I heard that Hotel 2 was run by the gestapo and had a mad crapper
running loose, no pun intended. We stayed at the Sierra Suites and I think
this should be the official Scirocco org hotel, that way we’re all in one
place. Oh, I forgot that one Mr. Cammisa showed up in his Granny’s Nissan
sedan. Now what’s with that? ( I bet it was returned to granny with a bit
less carbon buildup) The big fun was when the lot had about 6 cop cars in
it, and some ricers decided to do burnouts in the Walmart lot that
adjoined the hotel lot. Too much fun to watch the cops roll out and the
ricers evaporate. I’m sure each has their own experience to share. Add it
in.

Chapter Five: WATERFEST!! The show was great, lots to see and buy, and way
too much to absorb. I shared the staging lanes with a 1.6 TD that ran 15.7
in the quarter, and there were wonderful turbo wheeshes all around. The V8
New Beetle wasn’t running unfortunately, but it was quite the conversion,
I think I need one. It was a straight line car. You name it , it was
there. Denny met the guy who ice races a Rocco up here, he had a Golf I
believe in the drags. Anyway, it’s not Cincy, but it is good
entertainment. I didn’t hear all the awards, so maybe someone could post
the results. I missed the cars of old, Brett’s and Jim’s are both in
storage, Cammisa’s is also vying for the title Valdez, so was banished to
the garage, Josh and Riche’s are gone. Jan’s gorgeous stock 16V and Paul’s
white beauty were there though, and several new ones belonging to non
listers. We’ll recruit them.

Anyway, that’s my little novel, hope it didn’t put you to sleep! And we
need to co-ordinate our efforts better next year, everyone was all over
the place!
Cathy