Vacuum bank (egg crate thing) question...

Has anyone ever used another type of bank, instead of the alien-egg-looking thing?

Here is why I ask...  As many prolly already know, I drive a GTI, and the thing is up under the hood.  It is ugly!  I would like to move it, but it is too big to put elsewhere (as I have already tried most spots).  I would like to try another device, hopefully smaller, so that I can stick it above the passengers' feet.

On that note, I have seen one that was just three balls instead of the 11.  Anyone know if this would work?  Also, what car was that on, I cannot remember...  I assume it will not work, as the difference in space is great, but I am willing to try it if I can save the space...

Thanks for your time...

David

---Chrome don't get you home.---