$195.00 coilover pics (spring rates)

--- Dan Smith <sad_rocc@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Good question. Can someone experienced post a little chart up? Something that goes kind of like:
>
> 200-300lbs - firm, good ride
> 600lbs - racing only
>
> Adrian <adrian.culda@sympatico.ca> wrote:
> Quick question...
> What is a suitable spring rate for our cars???
> Front - 400
> Rear - 300
> Is that ok???

OK...my 2¢:
First, most VW autoxers use the stiffer springs in the rear for increased roll stiffness in the
rear, where we want it - it decreases weight transfer due to body roll in the front.

2nd, my experience is that, on Victor (MkII 16V), 300# front/350# rear was about as much as I
could handle on a daily driver, and I was the only driver of the car (my wife wouldn't go in it).
I tried 300# front, 500# rear and it was simply brutal, with no apparent benefits on the track
(tires were limiting factor).

3rd, on my MkI 16V, I intend to go 300# front, 400# rear and leave it for awhile, and get my
shocks revalved to suit.

For a DD or sporty street car, I'd guess fronts and rears in the 200# - 250# range would be pretty
good - I think that's what Ben Harder's MkI has and it corners like a cockroach and is livable at
the same time.

So...anyone want a pair of 2.5" 500#/in Eibachs, 7" long, with about 1000 miles on them?  $65
shipped US.

HTH

Ron