Tricks for valve retainer keepers?

Both of these are the tools that I used, but there was the third piece I called the "support backing plate". It looked like a manufactured piece, so I was confused to not see it on that site. LMK if you want me to ask where he got it.

I'll try to illustrate it here  (top view - the bottom has one strip of continuous strip of metal along the middle to fasten into the vice and keep it balanced.  I'm sure you could get away without it if you have the other two tools.
|                         O                    O                             |
|                                                                               |
|    ______        _______        _______     _______       |
|   |______|       |_______|      |_______|    |_______|      |
|                                                                               |
|                                                                               |
|_____________________________________________|

HTH, Jeff
Drew MacPherson <drew@scirocco.cs.uoguelph.ca> wrote:

If you like to buy rather than build:

http://www.zdmak.com/vw%20tool.htm

search for VW541/1 (48.00)
and below it is the support bar (55.96)

If you bought the compressor bar, the support bar would not be hard to rig
or build.

Drew

--
| 84 Wolfsburg Edition TurboDiesel Scirocco |