30k mile, JH motor install questions

      My daily driver's 8V motor is out of commission.  Without going
into details of its demise let's just say it is dead.  I know everyone's
first thought would be a 16V conversion.  Well, this is my DD and I want
to keep the reliability.  I also don't' feel bad slugging it through the
snow and the salt of the NE winters.  I already have a white 16V with
half the miles on the chassis as this 8v.
      Later in the week I was explaining my dilemma at our local VW club
meeting and a fellow member said that he had a JH motor from an 87
Scirocco I could have.  At first glance you may think this is nice but
not anything to get too excited about, how many of us have parts cars
with JH motors?  I know I have two motors with about 170k miles on each
of them.  Well, this motor has only 30k on it; he has had this motor in
his basement for at least 10 years.  I wish I had that much room to be
such a good pack rat.
      Now, here is my question:  What do I do to get this motor ready to
crank over without damage?  Should I run the oil pump via the
distributor hole and get it up to pressure?  Should I oil the cylinders
though the spark plugs and turn the motor by hand with the plugs out?
Should I take the valve cover and oil pan off and soak everything with
oil?  All of the above?

Next,
Things I plan on replacing:
      Water pump
      Valve cover gasket (G60)
      Oil pan gasket
      Belts
      Tensioner
      Cam and crank seals
      Injector seals
      Clutch (I know, unrelated to motor question)

Anything else?

Thanks, Rick K.