  From: Neal Tovsen
  To: scirocco-l@scirocco.org
  Sent: Thursday, January 22, 2004 1:04 PM
  Subject: RE: Cams, lights, ... now hydro head Sciroccos

  > I don't recall the details but it struck me as 'guilty until
  > proven innocent' on the SCCA's part.

  This is true, and it is 100% intentional.

  The SCCA rules don't tell you what is illegal. They tell you what is
  legal. And the competitor is primarily responsible for proving that
  he/she is legal. All competitors (at National-level events) are
  required to carry documentation for their car and any/all parts on it
  that are not specifically listed as "unrestricted" in the rulebook.
  Yes, that even includes 100% stock cars. A factory manual and/or
  parts list is typically sufficient.

  But think about it: how would you expect someone to prove that
  something NEVER happened? You can't. Thus, the competitor is
  responsible for proving their legality. He couldn't, and thus lost
  the protest.

  As for the "weenieness" of the protest, that's another issue
  entirely, and is only of importance to the court of public opinion.
  But be assured there is more to the story than just what was listed
  here.

  (for those new to the SCCA, this kind of stuff only happens at the
  National Championship level...don't worry about it at your local
  events)

  As for the P.C./"gay" thing, yes there is freedom of speech in this
  country (USA). Does that mean you won't be offended when I call you
  an ignorant prejudiced bigot? The 1st Amendment allows me to do it,
  but that doesn't mean you shouldn't be offended when I use an term
  that implies something bad to describe you, or vice versa.

  For the record, I'm not gay, and even if I was I wouldn't be offended
  by the term. It is just a word, after all. But all the same I could
  see how someone else might be, and so I try to be respectful. I find
  that the world is generally a better place when people respect each
  other. It really isn't too hard.

  (back into lurk mode)

  Neal Tovsen
  '77 Scirocco G60