16V questions-

Carlos, any of the short throw shift kits will reduce the throws front to back.  While you're at it, buy a shifter bushing rebuild kit, it'll make things feel MUCH better.
As for the shift knob, go to the junkyard, and find any old A1 with a five speed.  Take the shifter rod assembly out.  Go home and hack the rod a bunch of inches.  The shift knob has a strange ability to fit the bare knob good, without any threads, but if it's loose you could always fit something in-between.  Reason I say to do this on an extra rod assembly is because quite franky, I didn't like it.  Without the slight backwards bend, it's too far forward to be comfortable in the "upper" gears, sometimes my knuckles hit the radio console.
As for bumpers, page Dirk, he always seems to have a set for cheap.
You're on the right track for maintenance.  Not much else required.  Maybe clean out the idle air stabilizer valve, and replace the air filter.  Also, the transfer pump is probably nearing it's lifetime.  And replace the fuel filter.
Other things that might fail: odometer, pedal cluster.