Help...please...help one last time (Stupid question)

ok once again I would like to thank all of you. I did take it to my freind
who is a mechanic and he didnt see any thing wrong with it. As for head
gaskets and stuff like that Im sure i would be able to notice it in
performance and the car seems to be driving fine, The smoke is gone expect
for a little bit and hes gona run a compression check on it tomorrow. But
while it was there I rememberd the car loses 2 quarts of oil within 4
months...as in its full one day then about 4 months later the oil light
comes on i check..and its gone. I have been adding oil and checking on a
regular basis..but losing that much oil cant be normal. The mechanic said
that most likely the car will need and engine overhaul, (but thats not for
sure yet) he said its an expensive procedure... SO heres the stupid question
  is it nesecary, or can I keep doing what i have been doing filling it up
and checking it often? any recomendations
thanx