  From: Carl Seidel
  To: scirocco-l@scirocco.org
  Sent: Sunday, January 18, 2004 8:06 PM
  Subject: Homemade ice tires

  Hi all,

  I was wondering if anyone had any experience making their own studded
  tires.  Not for on the street, but for ice trials type events on a frozen
  lake.  I dont feel like paying $140 each for Menard ice racing tires, so I
  figured I'd go nuts with the sheet metal screws on an old set of tires.  I
  was looking into snowmobile track studs, but they're kinda expensive
  too.  The last event I did was fun on my blizzaks, but the guys with studs
  were just rippin it up, so I want to rip it up too.  I found this web page:
  http://tonymo920.tripod.com/iceracingezine/id8.html
  That talks about it.  I'm just wondering how well they hold air like that,
  and that green sealant seems like it would be kind of expensive (which is
  the opposite of the theme of this project)

  Here's what my plan is currently:
  Tons of 3/4" sheet metal screws with washers on them and use that 3m
  windshield urathane (appropriate choice?) to seal the screws.
  Then take a strip of a truck tire tube and paste that (with what?) on top
  of all the screw heads inside the tire.
  Then run a regular tire tube inside the tire.

  Probably wont be the lightest things, but it will be more fun than 15mph
  into a corner and still sliding.
  And for fun here's a pic of my rocco at the last ice trials event (and is
  time trials, one car at a time so I'm not banging up my car)
  http://www.w-a-g.org/events/ice/2004/2004-01-03/batch1/photos/IMG_012.jpg

  So whos got some insight?

    -Carl