The 75 - Orange it is (what's different on the 75)

On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 16:33:57 -0500, "Mark" <mardak@cogeco.ca> wrote:

> [...]

There are actually two different linkage arrangements used on 75
models - an "early" and "late" type which are quite different with the
exception of the lever itself.  I can't imagine how bad the "early"
type was if the "late" type (original to my car) was an improvement.
Neither has any parts that will work with 1976 or later linkage
setups.  Get a complete setup from a later car, including the lever
plate and bearing plate for the rod bushing.  A sawzall will come in
handy as the hole in the body is also a different size.

If you do not change the steering rack (also a 75 only item IIRC) you
need to fabricate a bearing plate/assembly for the shift rod since the
mounting ears on the 75 steering box are turned 90 degrees to what you
will need.  This was needed to go to an 83 GTI linkage, anyway.

The 75 rack is (and I cannot confirm this) a slightly quicker ratio
than later ones.  Story was that VW got flack from women who were
having trouble parking and revised the ratio on later manual rack
cars.  They do require some muscle at slow speed.

Pedal assembly also should come from a later car if you upgrade the
brakes.. you need to. Brake light switch on a 75 is a pressure switch
on the master cylinder, so figure wiring a new one.  Steering column
is 75 only, but mine did not need to be changed.  Heater core is 75
only.  Control arms are 75 only.. or not.  Different part sources do
not agree on this and I still have originals.

I suppose you'll scrap the 4 speed trans.  The starter is 75 (maybe
also 76) only, so get a later one to go with your new Quaifed FN :-)
Front (and maybe driver side) engine mount bracket needs to match up
with your new trans.. not swappable from the 75.

This is only the beginning.  If you need any genuine 75 only parts, I
have a dusty pile in the corner of my garage you are welcome to.

Good Luck