a/c wiring diagram help needed...

so my a/c began to intermittently crap out on me beginning last october.
tried it out the other day, and it seems to be permanantly crapped out now.
i'm guessing i have a wiring issue somewhere, but bentley doesn't go into
a/c troubleshooting. anyone know where i can find info? what happens: i turn
on switch. relay clicks. fuses are good. radiator and blower fans go on.
compressor does not. (system is full).
so i try to check out the wiring diagram, and am confused, especially the
top of the diagram showing the relay. questions:
1) what part of the diagram should i be concerned about? looks like the
rights side (current tracks 8-12) deal with the radiator fan, while 1-3 deal
with blower fan. both of these work.
2) can i assume that since the rad/blower fans work, the relay does as well?
3) can i assume that the a/c switch works, given #2?
4) that leaves me with tracks 6&7, involving the low press switch and a/c
thermostat.  what is the a/c thermostat?
5) from all this, it looks like my problem is either in the fuse box/relay,
low press switch, or thermostat. does this sound about right, or am i
missing something? can i throw some jumper wires anywhere to see if that
does the trick? across which relay terminals? how about directly jumping the
compressor? thanks,

-Michael Abatzis
New Orleans!
1988 Scirocco 2L 16v RIP