Homemade A2 rear beam car dolly - suggestions needed!

Instead of making a rotiserrie as my next welding project, I'm going to
make a car dolly instead - seeing as I'm picking up A1's at an alarming
rate. :)

I borrowed (former?) list member Ben Beacock's homemade dolly last year
to pick up the 80 S from Kervin.  He used an A2 rear beam.  From what I
remember he cut it in the middle and widened it with a heavy piece of
angle iron, and welded on "pads" for front wheels of the tow vehicle.

While it worked well, it was a bit unprofessional in construction and
design.  Anyone have any ideas or advice on making a similar dolly?

I would like to do away with the (expensive) wheel restraint belt
system, and maybe use dedicated front wheels that secure to the dolly.
(ie: bolt the special wheels on the car to be towed, roll it up on the
dolly, and secure it...  Any ideas?

Thanks!

Mark.
80 S