Types of coolant to use...

Someone earlier was discussing coolant for their Roc...  I meant to reply
something that may help them, but had email trouble...

Also, this may have been covered already, but I do not recall seeing anything
about it here on the list, so here goes...

>From VWs point of view (ie, all that I have been told by technical help
lines), in our cars we should use the blue coolant from VW (or similar), or
the pink/red that is used in VWs now.  The reason is, these coolants are
phosphate/silicate free, and will not cause problems eroding various parts in
the cooling system...

I get at least a call a day from someone who has green antifreeze in their
car, and is wondering the cost of this or that coolant flange...  The green
eats the plastic flanges, and the aluminum ones to a lesser degree.  I am also
told that it can cause problems with the headgasket...

Now, you do not have to use the VW brand on the pink/red, BUT do not use GM
brand (Dex-cool).  You can use a Dex-cool compatible coolant, but not Dex-cool
itself...  I would also recommend using one brand only, and not mixing them,
even if they are the same color...

Now, to make things really complicated, I personally use Evans Coolant...  I
love the stuff, as I have gotten more power by using it (yes, it actually does
give me more power).  If you are curious, check out evanscoolant.com and be
prepared to do some reading. Turns out European Car tested it via Techtonics
back in 1992 or so, and they liked it.  But I am on a tangent...  I can get 54
degrees total advance on a stock JH without pinging, even in 95 plus degrees!
Mo' power (Tim Taylor noise in background)...

Is anyone else using Evans here on the list?  What are your experiences?

David

--
David Utley