HELP! computer gurus...

Allyn's suggestions are great... but just for ease's sake, take that drive out and try it in another computer FIRST.  If it works on a different computer, it's your mainboard.  If not, it's the hard-drive.  Alternatively, if you have another hard drive, take out the *bad* one and put the spare in.  If that works, then it's the hard drive.
BTW - by not detected, do you mean it physically said on the screen "Checking IDE 1... No Devices Found" (or something along those lines).  Or did it just go to a black screen with "Disk Not Found".  Scenario A is a hardware issue, scenario B is a software issue (Master Boot Record bad).  I hope it's B, but don't worry - we can rescue you if it's A.  From here, follow Allyn's suggestions.