  From: Dave Ewing
  To: Scirocco-L@Scirocco.Org
  Sent: Sunday, January 04, 2004 2:51 AM
  Subject: RE: Possible to flare hard brake line?

  I am sorry I don't know all the answers to your questions since I just
  bought the kit from Mac or Matco, can't remember now.  But, I think the size
  of the bit or piece for the bubble flare is a 4mm.  What that means is that
  it is a 4mm line.  I am not absolutely sure on this just going by memory as
  to what size the bit was for the bubble flare tool.  You don't need to
  double flare it, only bubble flare it.  What this creates is a sort of
  smooth perfect flare (rounded on the end) so I am assuming that is where it
  gets it's name, bubble flare.  The fittings are easily accessible at
  wrecking yards or your old brake parts you have laying around.  Take a line
  cutting tool and cut it smooth so you can slide it off.  If you use a pair
  of dikes or wire cutters you won't be able to slide the fitting off.  You
  MAY find a cut to length steel line with fittings on it at your local parts
  store but don't expect it to be exactly the right length.  Usually when you
  see a line that has loops in it they used a pre-cut and flared line and it
  was too long.  The best but more expensive way to do the job is to get the
  pieces and buy the flare kit.  Then you can make any brake line on your car
  and make it the correct length.  The size of the line is very common to most
  import cars as is the fitting size.  They may know what you need if you tell
  them the application, then again.....  HTH!

  Dave