OT: Symptoms of headgasket failure?

1. Not my car, so I tried to stay as far from it as possible...
2. It's been traded, if it'd been sold privately I'd have made him mention
it, but on a trade? Nah...
3. The main symptom was coolant consumption, but I didn't drive it, so I'm
not sure I'd know what normal was for it anyways.

So it can start gradually then, I was just curious, thanks for the replies
guys.
Cathy