OT On Marriage (From another list)

heterozygous is just having 2 mismatched chromosomes, like x and y.
recessive/dominant refers to the expression of the genes on the chromosomes;
it's the end result. for example, blue eyes are a recessive trait. you need
2 "blue" genes (bluejeans? :) to have blue eyes. "brown" is the dominant
gene; if you have only 1 "brown" gene, you have brown eyes. so
brown/blue=heterozygote with brown eyes (because brown is dominant),
brown/brown=homozygote with brown eyes, blue/blue=homozygote with blue eyes.
so actually, the y chromosome is dominant because it only takes 1 to have
"maleness" expressed (=male phenotype). and no, not all males are xy and
females xx. it's just that other combinations can live, but aren't normal.

-Michael Abatzis, finally using his college major.
New Orleans!
1988 Scirocco 2L 16v RIP
1987 Scirocco 2L 16v...