Mk1 cloth sunroof trade? Any steel-sunroof Mk1s for sale,trade?

The sliding vinyl tops were installed on about 1500 MkI's between 1978 and
1981.  This was a dealer option most often found on cars on the west coast.

As the story goes, the tops were originally manufactured by a British
company called Weathersheilds LTD.  These early roof are identified by a
Weathershields plaque on the front of the frame around the latch hole.  In
1979 Brittax bought out Weathershields LTD then proceeded to distribut the
remaining stock of tops and disposed of the molds.  Most of the tops found
on cars post 1980 are Brittax.

The original top is approx a 30 inch square with a chrome frame and black
vinyl top.  There was/is a plastic wind deflector that could be rotated up
when the top is open to reduce noise.  Most cars no longer have this
deflector.  Underneath the headliner there are to flimsy supports riveted to
the upper body channel at each end of the sliding top frame.  These rivets
will become weak over time and will break leaving the roof unsupported and
prone to developing cracks at all four corners.  Typically this failure is
found on MkI's with ragtops that have been modified with stiffer springs and
sway/stress bars.  Jeff T and I have been working on a way to strengthen the
roof supports and lessen potential for cracking.

The other weakness is leaking.  Without a tight top, water will travel under
the vinyl and leak onto the drivers lap and or seat.  Over the course of 25
years it can lead to rust under the carpet and all the problems associated
with floor rust.  Especially bad in the 78 that had brake lines running
inside the car.

Most ragtops still on the road have had the top recovered at least once.
Any good local shop can recover the sliding part and use a modern canvas top
material that is far superior to the original vinyl.  This runs around
$350-$500 depending on your location and the shop.

There used to be a shop in SoCal called Sunroof Performers that did many
original dealer installs and up till a few years ago had spare parts.  I
believe the lister Jeff T tried to contact them recently and sadly could not
locate them.

BcH
78 MkI Ragtop ABA 16vT boxes of parts