first sign of rust.. what to do

Wow, you make it sound so easy..

> The rust and dent seems to be behind the PS door.

correct. The PS door itself also has a small crease in it.

I haven't decided whether or not to replace the door or try to have it
fixed. Replacement is definitely cheaper, but it might be easier "while
you're there" to just fix it if the rest of it is getting fixed anyway.
Any thoughts, people?

> Remove the bent stripping and save it.

It's got a gouge in it; I have a replacement piece I picked up a junkyard
some years ago.

> Remove the interior panel and push the dent back out.
> Use a 12" piece of 2x4 (slightly bevel the edge) and a BFH to "Tap" the
> panel edge back into place.
> Remember, bent metal has stretched and will never go back exactly.

Hmm, tried that once and was never able to get enough force. Even with my
feet against the dent it only flexed out temporarily when I put force on
it. The trouble is the terribly kinked section at the bottom of the door
(right above the right-most body kit hole plug in the picture)

It's squeezed so much I'm not sure an amateur such as myself would be able
to ever get it remotely back the way its supposed to be - that would be
kind of like un-crushing a beer can.. it's just too extreme of a bend.

(once again, http://www.wsu.edu/~treed2/grrrr-rust.jpg)

I'm also a bit concerned about the subtle body line that is underneath the
rubber strip; seems like it would be hard to get straight again.

> The paint has cracked because of metal bending (it does not like to bend)
> and will need to be cut back to the base metal. Treat the area with Jelly
> etc to stop further rust.

I'm assuming you're suggesting this -after- the paint is stripped?

> Add a few sanded layers of bondo.
>
> Prime the area with self etching primer to seal it and then a coat of base
> color the same as the car.

What's a self etching primer?

> 2-3 hours and done!

Hah! Maybe for an expert..

> Check this out to see what I mean.
>
> http://www.menloparkrandd.com/scirocco/nose/index.htm

Yeah, looks nice.. but that's a panel replacement. I don't have a new rear
quarter section, or a welder, or any knowledge about body work whatsoever.

Maybe I'll try to learn about it when summer rolls in. For now I'm just
looking for a temporary solution until the snow melts.

> Have fun!
>

> Julie Macfarlane
> 1981 MKI 2L 16v
> Amsterdam NY