weird rieger stuff (fuel???)

ok, so for the past year i've been driving the rieger around mk1 style
(removed a cracked fuel reservoir and bypassed it). i'd been running
transfer pump straight to the main pump. its worked alright, other than the
mk1-style issue that happens (hard right with <1/4 tank results in fuel
cut). so today i go to get gas, as i was under 1/4 tank. the engine hiccups
a tad going into the gas station (right turn), and i think nothing of it...
its happened before. i get my gas and leave, getting about 1/2 mile down the
road when i suddenly loose power, followed by those nice red lights we dont
want to see on our dash (stalled). i try to restart as i roll to a stop,
nothing. i get it started after cycling the key a few times (thinking i got
an air pocket in the fuel system or something - never happened before but
who knows). go another couple of miles, make a left, sputter, stall. (it was
a LEFT this time, it never sputters on a left, even with <1/4 tank... and
now its a full tank anyway). cycle key a few times, starts. make left into
post office a few miles later, sputters, dies. wait a few minutes, restarts
no prob. leave idle in parking spot for 20 mins while i tackle the
post-holiday line at the post office. its still running when i get out, no
prob. do some zig-zag stuff on the way out of the post office parking lot,
running fine. get to my street (20 mins drive later), make the right,
sputter, stall. i coast all the way to the house and park in the driveway
(manual steering SUCKS with 235/40/17). cycle key this time listening for
fuel pump sounds / possible air in system: everything sounds normal. starts
again just fine. check battery voltages: 13.4 while running at idle. 13.2
with headlights on. 12.8 with car off (typical for the rieger).

so... i've basically got no clue whats making the rieger do this. it is
pretty cold out, but the rieger has been fine all winter. its a bit humid
and rainy, but i've gone through much worse lately with no problems at all.
only other thing i can think of is that the rieger sat for 2 weeks as i was
on leave taking care of the family. it drove perfect to work this morning
(30 minute drive).

ideas?
thx in advance for assist.
Al

Allyn Malventano, ETC(SS), USN
87 Rieger Scirocco GTO 2.0 16v (daily driver, 190k, rocco #6)
86 Kamei Twin 16V Turbo Scirocco GTX (30% complete, rocco #7)
86.5 Occo 16v Trailer (rocco #8)
90 Passat GL 16V (the wifes new daily, 200k)