first sign of rust.. what to do

So my notoriously un-fixed dent (it was there when I bought the car some 5
years ago) has been exposed to a lot of slush and snow lately and for some
reason it has begun to rust where the paint was cracked. Ironically, this
only begins happening after I move -away- from Seattle's constant rain and
salt air.

I have twice previously painted over these areas rather sloppily with vw
touch up paint more or less as a preventative measure. Didn't do it this
year since I ran out of paint and didn't have any motivation to buy more.

Down at the horribly kinked corner by the doorjamb there had been some
previous light rust and I had ground it off with a wire wheel as best I
could before applying the touch-up paint.

Here's a (bad) picture:
http://www.wsu.edu/~treed2/grrrr-rust.jpg

I haven't looked at it for more than 10 angry seconds, but I'm asking for
advice; the rest of the car is completely rust-free and I have no
experience with rust on cars whatsoever.

I can't justify getting the dent fixed and painted; I just don't have the
thousands necessary to do it right. (and to be honest, even if I did..
they'd go to a Quaife first :)~

I have no experience with paint or body work; I'm strictly a mechanical
guy so that's out of the question (not to mention that I don't even have a
garage).

My original plan was to get out of school and start making my millions
(ha-ha) then do a proper full car repaint.. but I obviously want to stop
this rust now because that's a year or so off.

I have a feeling that its under the paint in the surrounding areas as
well, but like I said I haven't looked too closely.

Is there anything I can do (POR-15, Naval Jelly, etc) to contain this
rust that would be within my budget and garage-less ability ?

Thanks in advance for any advice,

-Toby