From: scirocco-l-bounces@scirocco.org
[mailto:scirocco-l-bounces@scirocco.org]On Behalf Of L F
Sent: Monday, February 16, 2004 8:06 PM
To: Mark Langford; scirocco-l@scirocco.org; Ron@bunch.org
Subject: Re: filling the roof channels (With lead)

Mark is partially correct.  The body man would smooth the molten lead out,
working with a torch and a hardwood paddle coated with beeswax.  He could
only get it close before he had to go with a vixen file to finish it up.  I
used to work in a custom shop (YEARS ago) and was fascinated watching these
guys work,  the only thing more intriguing was working with the pinstripers
I still have my sword stripers!
(Okay, so it's more than you wanted to know....)
Larry

  I'm going to mention an old school technique here that I have yet to
  master, so can't tell you how. That's using molten lead as a body filler.
  It doesn't crack.

  As recently as the 1970s and maybe even in the 1980s,  higher end German
  auto manufacturers used it as a technique to sculpt final fit of parts.
  (USA manufacturers used it in the 50s.) A craftsman would apply molten
lead
  to an area needing filling and then use an insulated glove on his other
  hand to to wipe it smooth.