Homemade O2 Sensors

At 07:27 AM 2/12/04 -0600, James S. Danda wrote:

>Thanks, I took off the sensor and re-built the connection using the straight
>tube splice crimp connectors. I removed the platic insulation from the
>connector before crimping the wires. I then re-insulated with heat shrink.
>At this point I can't imagine that connectivty is a problem. Unforn, this
>did not fix my problem.
>
>Now I guess I'm going to run through the electrical tests outlined in
>bentleys. I've done everything I can think of that is less than $100/part. I
>don't want to chance spending money on a new coil or distributor if I'm not
>98% convinced it needs replacing.

It's always a good idea to test things before randomly replacing parts. That
can get expensive quick.

>My next questions: Where can I buy some 'generic  vw/german' connectors to
>build up the test harnesses required to perform the tests?

Potterman should be able to help there.  Possibly donor wiring harnesses out of
a junkyard, depending on what you need.

>I'm getting real depressed with CIS-E. I have made the decision never to own
>a car again with a hybrid mechanical/vacuum/electric fuel injection built in
>the 80's. Its 70's carbs, or 90's computers for me from
>now onward.

In my opinion, a properly running CIS-E is a very nice system.  Once you
get experienced
with it and know how to do the tests there nothing to it.  I've done some
work on the 90's stuff
(with OBD-II systems) and want nothing to do with it; It was a
nightmare.  Just my opinion though.

>Jim
>Go Navy!

John C. Worden
Bucksport, Maine

'98 Dakota 4x4-
'86 Scirocco 8V-
'81 Scirocco 2.0 16V -
'78 Scirocco Brazil Brown Metallic,  4 speed.
'89 Polaris Indy Deluxe