Compression Test Question / CV Joint Prive

Mark,
 Replaced the driver side CV joint two weeks ago.
  Not necessary to pull steering tie rod or strut attachment, only lower ball joint attachment.

Larry
  Really?  Back in my Mk2 days I remember doing this on the side of a busy
  downtown Montreal street in the middle of the winter by driving up on
  the curb, turning the wheel, and getting the whole halfshaft out.  It's
  tight, but every time I've tried I've been able to get it out without
  removing anything else.  Did you try turning the wheel both ways?  How
  about turning the wheel to get enough clearance to drop the inner CV
  first, then pulling the outer from the knuckle?   I know the driver side
  is tougher than the passenger side, but I just did the driver side no
  problem.  I've never done this on a 16v, but I know it works on both Mk1
  and Mk2 8v's.  Anyone with a 16v confirm whether or not you have to
  disengage the steering knuckle?

  Mark.
  75
  80 S
  81 S  2.0 ABA/JH/4K

  Only on the driver's side, if it's a 100mm axle.

  Peter
  http://thescirocco.com