Compression Test Question / CV Joint Prive

Really?  Back in my Mk2 days I remember doing this on the side of a busy
downtown Montreal street in the middle of the winter by driving up on
the curb, turning the wheel, and getting the whole halfshaft out.  It's
tight, but every time I've tried I've been able to get it out without
removing anything else.  Did you try turning the wheel both ways?  How
about turning the wheel to get enough clearance to drop the inner CV
first, then pulling the outer from the knuckle?   I know the driver side
is tougher than the passenger side, but I just did the driver side no
problem.  I've never done this on a 16v, but I know it works on both Mk1
and Mk2 8v's.  Anyone with a 16v confirm whether or not you have to
disengage the steering knuckle?

Mark.
75
80 S