Homemade O2 Sensors

Has anyone had luck wiring up a Universal O2 sensor (ie Bosch 13913) to a 16v CIS-E car?

I have one wired and installed, but I'm having problems getting my car to run right. It misses under load. In other words when accelerating it accelerates erratically. Eventually I reach steady speed and it runs great, but while accelerating it has power in bursts. Its like a switch is randomly thrown which gives small burst of full power. Otherwise power is at 75%(guess). Oh, and it only acts like this AFTER the engine has completely warmed up.

I've done the following in trouble shooting: new filters(air, fuel), new injector seals, new plugs and wires, checked for vacuum leaks, and built a new o2 sensor.

I'm beginning to think its the o2 sensor, but like an idiot I threw the old one away so I can't test it. It ran ok before changing my downpipe. While installing the downpipe I figured I'd replace the o2 sensor. I really don't want to spend $125 on an OEM sensor, but if that gets the car running right I'll start saving.

Thanks,
jim