name this audi--Body rigidity

  I would think most cars, performance and otherwise would weigh more than
that, anymore...  Cars are so very heavy these days, which is one reason why
I stick with my Mk1 Golf...

   I read sometime ago, that Karmann was working on a solution to that.
They had found a way to build body panels by having an inner and outer sheet
of aluminum, and in the center was an unknown material that when shaped and
baked, was twice as strong as its original counterparts, and it weighed
something like 40% less?  I do not remember seeing a car from Karmann with
this technology, and I know that I read about it at least 5 years ago...
When this material is baked, it expands and seats itself to the metal which
accounts for its increase in strength and rigidity...

David

PS, on that note, within the next few months, I am going to be making a
purchase that may interest some of you...  On Vortex, I made an inquiry
about putting expanding foam in key places as a means to cut down noise
(which lighter cars are definitely known to have) and possibly increase
rigidity...  Interestingly, a fella local to me remembered an article from
Sport Compact car.  They were doubling the horsepower of a 300ZX, and they
were looking to do the same thing, but moreso from the point of rigidity...
They found a company that makes an expanding foam that does not take on
water (originally a marine application), and also does not expand at such a
disasterous rate as the kind you find in a can...  IIRC, the rigidity of the
car can be increased by as much as 50%, and noise abatement doubled
(depending on application of course)...  I expect that I will pay about 150$
to do almost every possible area in my Golf...  Is anyone else interested in
this?  I thought it would be much easier than a roll cage, and if it cuts
down on noise too, well crap...  Those interested please contact me off
list...

David